Join the next generation of senior civil and structural engineering experts. Embrace a well paid, intensive yet enjoyable career by taking this comprehensive and practical course. It is delivered over 24 months by live distance learning and presented by some of the leading civil and structural engineering instructors in the world today.
Civil and structural engineering encompasses a range of disciplines, including road, rail and drainage systems, dams, harbours, bridges, buildings and other structures. Civil and structural designers and drafters plan, design, develop and manage construction and repair projects.
This qualification develops your skills and knowledge in the design and drafting of engineering plans to recognised standards. You will learn about different areas of civil engineering, including construction, project management, design and testing. You will also learn about the design and drafting of concrete, steelwork, roads and pipes, as well as hydrology, stormwater drainage and foundations.
While it is essential that those who work in the supervisory or management levels of this discipline have a firm understanding of drafting and planning principles, this qualification goes much further. To be effective on the job, you will need to know how to apply knowledge of fundamental civil and structural engineering concepts, including geotechnical engineering, hydraulic engineering, engineering maths, and properties of materials. Throughout the program this subject matter will be placed into the context of engineering management. Our aim is to ensure that you are an effective, knowledgeable and skilled supervisor or manager, someone who can work beyond a “plan and design” brief to ensure that a project is delivered effectively.
This qualification aims to provide theoretical and practical education and training such that graduates may gain employment at the engineering associate (“paraprofessional”) level within the building and construction industry.
There are eight threads in the course to give you maximum, practical coverage. These threads comprise environmental issues, engineering technologies, drawing, 2D and 3D CAD design, building materials, civil and structural sub-disciplines (roads, steel, concrete, pavement, drainage, soil, water supply, sewerage), construction sites and engineering management.
This program avoids too much emphasis on theory. This is rarely needed in the real world of industry where time is short and immediate results, with hard-hitting and useful know-how, are required as a minimal requirement. The instructors presenting this advanced diploma are highly experienced engineers from industry who have done the hard yards and worked in the civil and structural areas. The format of presentation — live, interactive distance learning with the use of remote learning technologies — means that you can hit the ground running and be of immediate benefit to your company or future employer.
IN THIS 24-MONTH INTENSIVE, PART TIME ONLINE PROGRAM YOU WILL LEARN:
- Advanced skills and knowledge civil and structural engineering principles that can be applied in a variety of workplaces
- The essential underpinning knowledge that guides a range of projects, including road, rail and drainage systems, dams, harbours, bridges, buildings and other structures
- Practical skills in the design and drafting of engineering plans to international standards
- Skills in engineering management
KEY BENEFITS OF THIS PROGRAM:
- Receive practical guidance from civil and structural engineering experts with real world industry skills
- Gain credibility in your firm
- Develop new contacts in the industry
- Improve career prospects and income
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who wants to gain a solid working knowledge of the key elements of civil and structural engineering that can be applied at the supervisory and paraprofessional level. See “Entrance Requirements”
This program is particularly well suited to students for who on-campus attendance is less desirable than the flexibility offered by online delivery. When work, family and general lifestyle priorities need to be juggled this world class program becomes an attractive option to many students world-wide.
- Site Supervisors
- Senior Trades Managers
- Trades Workers
- Construction Managers
- Maintenance Engineers or Supervisors
- Leading hands
- Consulting Engineers
Even those who are highly qualified in civil and structural engineering may find it useful to attend to gain practical know-how.
This program is composed of 4 stages, delivered over 24 months. It is possible to achieve the advanced diploma qualification within the time period because the study mode is part-time intensive.
There are 8 threads around which the program is structured:
- Environmental issues
- Engineering technologies
- 2D and 3D CAD design
- Building materials
- Roads, steel, concrete, pavement, drainage, soil, water supply, sewerage
- Construction sites
- Engineering management
The stages will be completed in the following order:
- MEM16008A Interact with computing technology
- MEM16006A Organise and communicate information
- MEM30001A Use (CAD) system to produce basic engineering drawings
- MEM30002A Produce basic engineering graphics
- 41972 Use basic construction in engineering
- 41980 Use physics in engineering
- 41981 Use statics in engineering
- 41978 Use materials in engineering
- MEM22002A Manage self in the engineering environment
- 41975 Use Basic Mathematics in Engineering
- 41968 Produce basic concrete drawings
- 41969 Produce basic steel drawings
- 41976 Use basic soils in engineering
- 41974 Use basic fluids in engineering
- 41983 Use surveying in engineering
- 41982 Use strength of materials in engineering
- 41979 Use M athematics in Engineering
- MEM30004A Use (CAD) to create and display 3-D models
- MEM22007A Manage environmental effects of engineering activities
- VU21137 Produce advanced engineering drawings for a reinforced concrete structure
- VU21139 Produce advanced engineering drawings for a steel structure
- VU21142 Produce drawings to enable urban road construction
- VU21141 Produce engineering drawings for a rural road
- 41962 Use soils in engineering
- 41987 Use fluids in engineering
- 41960 Use basic structural analysis in engineering
- 41963 Use structural analysis in engineering
- 41984 Use 3D CAD in engineering
- VU21125 Apply construction principles to civil engineering works
- VU21143 Produce engineering drawings for a stormwater reticulation scheme
- VU21133 Produce an engineering design for a sewerage reticulation scheme
- VU21131 Produce an engineering drainage design of pipes and culverts
- VU21134 Produce an engineering design for a reinforced concrete structure
- VU21122 Produce an advanced engineering design for a reinforced concrete structure
- VU21135 Produce an engineering design for a steel structure
- VU21123 Produce an advanced engineering design for a steel structure