The Advanced Professional Certificate in Applied Industrial Thermodynamic Systems is a 6-month intensive part-time program. It is presented at a significantly higher level than Advanced Diploma or indeed many bachelor degree level programs and intending students should consider the greater challenge.
This Advanced Professional Certificate is focused on the career outcomes of a professional engineer and technologist.
As the title suggests, this program has a significant vocational or “job related” emphasis, and focuses more on developing practical skills that you can apply to the workplace, rather than theory alone. We explain the theory behind the cycles and how they can be made more energy- and cost-efficient. The concepts are reinforced with many detailed step-by-step examples.
A feature of this program is that in using web collaborative technologies you will not only study and work with your peers around the world, but you will do this conveniently from your desktop using the latest techniques in live web and video conferencing. The program deals with the practical issues of thermodynamic systems that will confront an advanced practitioner in the field.
This is an applied course that presents the thermodynamic systems used by the power generation, HVAC and aviation industries. Of the eight units, the first five are relevant to the power generation field (including steam and gas power systems, and psychrometrics for cooling towers). Two-thirds of the course material is devoted to these topics.
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN:
- Advanced skills and know-how in the latest advanced technologies in thermodynamic systems, particularly energy and cost efficiency, for professional and highly-skilled work or further learning
- Credibility as an advanced practitioner in industrial thermodynamic systems
- Improved ability to make independent judgments and high-level decisions in a variety of technical or managerial contexts
- The knowledge and skills to be actively involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation stages of a range thermodynamic systems
- An EIT Advanced Professional Certificate in Applied Industrial Thermodynamic Systems
About Your Lecturer
Dr Tom Simko has received seven awards for teaching undergraduate thermodynamics. Convinced there must be a better way to teach this subject, he has developed a course that replaces the traditional dry and theoretical approach with a fun and applied presentation.
He ensures that concepts are thoroughly explained not only with theory but also with practical common sense so students truly understand them. Thermodynamic cycles are built up in steps and richly illustrated with graphics and examples. Images from industry show the real-world applications of the systems.
A licensed Canadian professional engineer, Dr. Simko has taught at universities in Australia and Canada. He currently teaches HVAC at the University of Toronto to graduate and continuing education students.
Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis. Potential students include:
- Practising engineers or technologists with advanced knowledge, experience and education (such as an Advanced Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree or higher)
- Practising engineers or technicians with demonstrated high-level competence
- Engineers or technologists from another discipline wanting to up-skill in this area
It would not be suitable for a student with no relevant work experience or for those with limited prior studies at a high level in a related field. We will review your enrolment application and may recommend alternate or pre-course studies if required.
The Advanced Professional Certificate is an intensive part-time program, conducted over 6 months (24 weeks). Unlike most other academic institutions, we operate almost all year round without extended breaks between semesters. The course is composed of 8 units.
|Unit||Unit title||Duration (weeks)||Topics|
Thermodynamics Basics (the “boot camp”)
Vapour Power Cycles
Gas Power Cycles
Advanced Power Cycles